Attention all Shopify store owners: There’s a fresh new app coming your way and it’s going to be making waves. What is it called? FAM (an acronym for Fully Automated Marketing). What does it do for you? It’s your email marketing strategy on autopilot. FAM truly is unlike any other Shopify app we’ve seen before and we think it’s going to be a major gamechanger for ecommerce startups. Interested to learn more? Keep reading this FAM review to find out exactly what it does and how it works.
The Future of Email Marketing
As an ecommerce entrepreneur, you wear a lot of hats. Not only are you the founder and creator of your online business but you’re also the marketing, management, human resources, finance, and product development departments, too. You’ve got a lot on your plate, so automating any step of the process is part of how you get everything done.
For many ecommerce entrepreneurs, since they have so much on their plate, things like email marketing get pushed to the backburner and they fail to actually send out any emails to their email list. This can actually hurt the email list in the long run, and we’ll tell you why.
The last thing you want to do when it comes to running a successful email list is to collect email addresses and then not actually send out any emails—or, potentially even worse, send out emails on a very inconsistent basis. What this does is confuse your email list subscribers because they aren’t able to get to know your brand so when you do actually send out emails to your list, it can cause them to unsubscribe or potentially even flag your email campaigns as spam.
Not only does this cause your email list to shrink rather than grow—it can negatively impact your email deliverability and open rates.
So instead of sending out a few sporadic emails to your list every now and then, you need to be sending out emails consistently. The best way to do that if you don’t already have a process in place is to automate it!
Until now, there haven’t been many ways to fully automate your email campaigns—and that’s why FAM is revolutionary. They’re breaking the mold and giving ecommerce entrepreneurs what they need: A more efficient way to operate their email marketing strategy.
What FAM Does
As the future of email marketing, FAM is revolutionizing what it means to send automated emails. Staying true to the “Fully Automated” part of their name, FAM creates and designs email campaigns for you through automated processes. All you have to do is connect it to your Shopify store and it does the work for you!
FAM is like having a full-time marketer who runs your email marketing for you—without the costs associated with having to employ someone for the job. FAM automates the process, taking the work off your plate while making sure it gets done consistently.
By using FAM, there’s also no need to hire copywriters, designers, or developers to create your emails for you—it takes care of it all! So you’ll have a well-written, beautiful, and optimized emails ready to send to your list just by letting FAM pull information from your Shopify store and Instagram!
Plus, FAM is a smart email marketing tool—it uses millions of data points and artificial intelligence to generate high-quality emails for your store. These data points mean that FAM uses the most effective subject lines, images, and layouts in your emails so they’re more likely to be successful with your audience.
Essentially, what it comes down to is that FAM takes care of your email marketing by writing, designing, and sending emails for your brand—without you having to hire a full-time marketer to do it for you. This gets emails out to your list and your subscribers engaged with your content without any extra effort on your part.
How FAM Works
FAM is a new tool—and one we’ve never seen anything quite like it before—so you might be wondering how it works. To start things off, you have to connect it to your Shopify store (which is a simple process that takes only a couple of minutes) and FAM will then immediately start generating email campaigns for you to review.
FAM creates your unique email campaigns by using your logo (which you’re asked to upload) and they pull your fonts and brand colors from your Shopify store so your email campaigns have your branding from the start. There’s no need to manually input anything (except for your logo so they get a high-resolution version of it) so you don’t have to fuss around with the branding options.
Once FAM is done with its email wizardry, all you need to do is click “Approve” to put the email campaigns into your schedule. This is what’s going to keep your emails going out consistently without you having to monitor it or remember to push them live.
The email types that FAM currently creates for you are welcome emails, product emails, promo emails, and Instagram content emails and they also have abandoned cart emails and blog content email types on their way out this year as well. So in terms of functionality, there are a lot of different options that FAM provides.
Who FAM is For
FAM is a tool for the ecommerce entrepreneur who wants to take the bulk of their email marketing strategy off their plate while still getting it done—and done right.
FAM essentially creates your email marketing calendar, all you have to do is connect it to your Shopify store and it’s ready to go! So if you’re interested in automating your email marketing while improving your potential to earn more sales—it’s the right tool for you.
The app just launched, but FAM has been in beta for a while and here are some of the experiences their users have already had:
- Wink used FAM to generate and send a Labor Day sale email that scored 190 orders with $9,550.22 in revenue.
- Bare Performance Nutrition created and sent an email with a call-to-action to a blog post and brought in 150 orders with $10,934.49 in revenue.
- BoKU used FAM’s Instagram integration to send an email for an Instagram post which resulted in 19 orders and $2,775.54 in revenue.
These are just three of the many examples. In the past six months, FAM has generated over $1,000,000 in revenue for its beta users!
FAM’s Features & Services
Here are some of the things FAM can do for your ecommerce store.
Replace Your Email Service Provider
If you’re totally new to email marketing and just want to use a basic email service provider to get emails from Point A to Point B (read: from your brand to your email list subscribers) then FAM can take the place of your email service provider. In fact, they actually recommend only using FAM as your email service provider to prevent issues like unsubscribers from your email provider being sent emails from FAM.
This, however, might not be the perfect solution for all ecommerce business owners. The way we see it, FAM is the fun, fresh, and functional cherry on top of a robust and sophisticated email marketing strategy, however, not all entrepreneurs have the time and energy to commit to building out a robust and sophisticated email marketing strategy. So, if you’re just looking for a fun, fresh, and functional email marketing system that works, then FAM has the potential to be your sole email service provider.
Automated Email Marketing
The best part about FAM’s system is that it’s pretty much entirely automated. The design is pulled from your Shopify store and your Instagram profile, the copy is written for you based on tried-and-true data points, and the campaigns are created and scheduled for you so they’re sent out at the optimal times to receive the most open rates.
Using FAM is pretty much the closest you can get to not having to do any email marketing at all, but still getting it done (and done well)!
Another aspect of their automation abilities includes creating discount codes for your emails automatically within your Shopify store.
So when you set up email campaigns with FAM, you’ll see that some of the emails they create for your store will have discount codes included in them. This is an appealing marketing tactic used to push interested audience members over the edge by compelling them to buy your products. What this doesn’t do, is create more administration work for you.
FAM makes all discount codes for their emails automatically in Shopify and you’re able to see the FAM discount code campaigns in the discount section of your Shopify admin page. There, you can edit the FAM discount code campaign for parameters such as what products the discount applies to, who is eligible for the discount, or how many times the code can be used. Learn more about FAM’s discount code options in their FAQs.
Expert Email Strategy
A lot of thought has gone into FAM and how ecommerce entrepreneurs use email as a sales channel for their online stores. This comes as no surprise, as FAM is part of the Sumo Group family which includes AppSumo—one of our favorite places to get deals on apps and resources for our business—as well as Sumo (Sumo Review) which has some of the best marketing tools that entrepreneurs can use to grow their businesses.
Through their years of experience, the Sumo Group team knows what it takes to send out high-performing emails and they’ve distilled their practices into FAM.
Through their expert email strategy, there are a few different types of emails to choose from:
- Welcome Emails: After you’ve approved this type of email, it goes out on a continuous basis to all of your new subscribers. These emails use unique promotion codes that auto-apply and can’t be used more than once. The codes also prevent subscribers from using them on subscription/ReCharge orders.
- Promotional Emails: These types of emails are created for you based on holidays and events—such as Memorial Day, Labor Day, Christmas, etc. FAM suggests them to you on your dashboard and you can choose to approve or skip them.
- Instagram Emails: These emails are used to promote your store branding, customer lifestyle, and evoke the fear of missing out (FOMO) feeling by showing your audience your products in action. Even if these Instagram product emails don’t show any of your products at all, FAM has discovered that they convert just as well as the other emails.
These give you a range of email types to choose from to engage your audience from various marketing angles. As we mentioned above, FAM also reports that they have abandoned cart emails and blog content email types on their way out this year as well.
One of the best features of FAM is that it’s designed to save you time. There’s no need to create email campaign templates, come up with clever copy or spend time managing and scheduling your emails to send out. Plus, you won’t be tempted to hire marketers, copywriters or designers since FAM takes care of everything.
Unique, Branded Emails
You also won’t have to spend time branding your emails—FAM migrates your branding preferences in from your Shopify store and Instagram. Not only does this also save you time, but it keeps your emails in line with your store’s aesthetic so it always looks authentic to your audience.
It’s important to note that if you use multiple fonts on your website, FAM will pull all of them into your dashboard. Currently, there is no way to upload a custom font that’s different from the ones you use on your website, however, you can change your fonts to what’s already in FAM by going to your “Settings” tab—the same goes for your logo.
FAM’s Pros & Cons
- Automated email creation
- Auto-schedules emails for you
- Choice of welcome, promotional and Instagram email types with abandoned cart and blog post email types on their way soon
- FAM has the potential to take the place of your email service provider
- Creates emails based on millions of data points so they have the best chance at being high-performing
- An ideal option for ecommerce business owners who want to send emails to their list but don’t have the time or expertise to dedicate to creating an entire email marketing strategy from scratch
- Creates branded emails including your logo, fonts, and brand colors
- Automatically adds promo codes to your Shopify store so you don’t have to
- Totally unique tool—we haven’t seen anything like it on the market before
- No need to hire a marketer, copywriter or email designer—FAM takes over all of these tasks for you
- For Shopify stores only
- A new app, so there’s potential to have some growing pains
- No free trial option, but you can use FAM for free without being able to actually send out any emails—you’ll just be able to set up your emails and approve campaigns
- FAM is still ironing out its CNAME process so you’ll be able to send emails using your @storename.com alias. For now, it’ll be @storename.sendfam.com, which FAM confirms has the same delivery success as regular aliases
- At the moment, FAM does not have an option to import your MailChimp contacts into FAM. They say, however, that this feature is a priority in their development pipeline and there is a work-around for the time being. Since they use Shopify to import your store information—contacts included—you’ll need to set up ShopSync with your Shopify account. The instructions to do this can be found here.
FAM is currently priced at $20/month for their Pro Plan, with additional charges of 5¢ per dollar generated over $500 monthly (up to a maximum of $100).
At this time, FAM does not offer a free trial, however, you can connect FAM to your Shopify store and set up your branding preferences (by uploading your logo and changing any font options, if you want to) without having to opt into their Pro Plan, but you won’t be able to send out emails until you purchase a subscription to FAM.
If you’re looking for an automated email marketing system to get email campaigns out to your subscribers, then you might want to check out everything that FAM has to offer. They take the stress of email marketing off your plate so you can invest your time and expertise in your online business instead of focusing it on your email marketing strategy.